It started a year back! I observed my pair of bulging love handles that I had so lovingly nurtured. Being too busy with kids, household and work, I never cared to exercise. My leisure time revolved around cooking, watching TV and sleeping but barely did I think that I could easily sneak in some simple exercises during my leisure hours.
Love Handles are stubborn and very difficult to get rid of, but not impossible. I had read that fat deposition around the abdominal area is a sign of many health risks. I decided to take action and nip love handles while it was still in the budding stage.
Here are some exercises that I practiced and have been benefitted. These exercises have to be done in a circuit (back-to-back with little rest in between). Each exercise should be done in 2-3 reps.
Always breathe while you are exercising. Don’t hold back your breath. Your muscles will get tired due to lack of oxygen.
Russian Twists –
This is a very effective exercise to burn fat from your love handles.
- Sit on the floor with bent knees. Keep your heels at a foot’s distance from your hips.
- Start reclining your upper body back towards the floor. You’ll start feeling your abdominal cores getting engaged.
- Bring your arms together placing it in front of you. Position yourself comfortably.
- Tighten your core muscles and slowly twist your body to your right. Don’t just swing your hands; your ribs should be rotating from right to left.
- Complete 15 rotations and complete a rep.
This exercise engages your core, love handles and oblique.
- Lie down flat on the back and keep your hand behind your head.
- Raise your legs at least a foot above the floor.
- Now bend your left knee and bring it towards your chest. Simultaneously twist your body to meet your right elbow with your left knee.
- Now straighten the left leg and repeat the same with your right leg and left elbow.
- 15 Bicycle crunches will finish a rep.
Side Planks –
Planks are a great way to tone your core and side planks target your obliques.
- Lie on the right side of your body, legs one on top of another and elbow directly underneath your shoulder.
- Once you have balanced yourself thus, try to steadily lift your body by supporting yourself on the right elbow.
- Hold this position for atleast 30 seconds.
- Change sides and repeat similarly.
Mountain Climbers –
This is an ultimate core exercise but twisting it a bit with some variation can target your love handles.
- Begin by positioning yourself in a plank.
- Tighten your core muscles.
- Now bring your right knee up to your left elbow.
- Repeat with the other side too.
- Your transition should be brisk and fluid without any pauses.
Side Bends –
This is a slow and controlled movement that should initiate from your core
- Stand with your feet apart at shoulder width. Hold a dumbbell in your right hand.
- Now bend down from your waist along with the weight.
- Pull yourself up from your core and bring your body to the starting position.
- Repeat on the other side too.
Let’s fight away those love handles!