Rock salt or SendhaNamak orKalUppu as they call in India is a salt that is highly beneficial for us and is made by evaporating sea water. It is not bleached unlike the common table salt, looks slightly pale-colored and has rightfully made a comeback in recent times. With the advent of organic revolution, consumption of salt has also come under scanner and people are unfolding the good effects of using rock salt as their grannies did few generations ago.
Let us see how rock salt helps us:
- About 84 out of the 92 trace elements required by our body including potassium, iron, calcium, zinc, magnesium, and copper are present in rock salt aiding in body functions of repair and rejuvenation.
- It facilitates the cellular absorption of minerals and plays an important role in replenishing the body’s electrolytes and maintaining the pH balance.
- It can help regulate blood pressure and boost metabolism.
- The circadian rhythm gets restored and hence the sleep cycle, due to good levels of melatonin.
Due to its immense benefits, rock salt finds its use in spas and salons too.
- Acts as a detox agent while under weather if used in a steam inhalation. A cup of water with a spoon of rock salt kept under the bed while sleeping helps in removing negative ions from the air and purifying it.
- Skin detox can be done by steam inhalation as it is great to remove clogged pores.
- It is used for doing manicure and pedicure to get off dead cuticle and provide detox of the body thru nerve ends.
- While used in the bath, it gives immense relaxation to the entire body.
- To prevent dental caries, it can be used in gargling before bedtime along with a pinch of cinnamon and turmeric.