Breast Cancer has been making news since the last couple of decades and scaring women across the world.
Traditional wisdom and to an extent modern studies also have confirmed probable causes of breast cancer as obesity, early menarche, late menopause, extensive usage of brassier (blocking lymphatic drainage), lack of breastfeeding, late marriage, late pregnancy, etc. as reasons. Before we can go into the reasons, let us analyze what are the signs and symptoms of breast cancer so that corrective measures can be taken.
Some tell-tale Signs and Symptoms can be any of the below:
- A sudden change in breast size, look or feel.
- Rashes or redness near the nipple
- Nipple discharge
- Lump on breasts or near underarms that don’t disappear with time
- Sudden swelling or redness of breast(s)
Whatever the sign, it is always better to consult a physician than assume that the signs will go away, as early detection can lead to permanent cure most of the times as opposed to late detection and facing its bitter aftermath.
However, do the following to avoid any surprises:
- Regularly see yourself in the mirror and do a self-diagnosis
- Diagnose yourself for the above signs and symptoms mentioned.
- If in doubt you may ask your spouse, mom or sister to help you decide on the condition
- Visit the doctor without any delay - If the report comes out as a benign breast condition like cyst or tumor it would be nothing to worry as it may be there present in a harmless way. If the report says malign breast condition, then it may be a cause for concern and further tests, biopsy or a detailed mammography would be advised and to know the severity of the condition which may or may not be cancer but still require a treatment.