Cancer is not just a single disease but multiple diseases of a single name, so the obvious reason for people to get scared of. What makes it scarier is its late detection. Most of the cancer gets detected when its already spread to other parts of the body, which is called Metastatic until then it doesn’t show any symptom.
Cancer is abnormal growth of cells, which has the potential to invade and spread to any part of your body until it makes it non-functional. It is not in our hand that we will get this disease or not but yes, a few things are in our hand like making changes in our lifestyle
- Keeping minute details of our health like noticing any change in the body which is not usual.
- Avoid Alcohol consumption and smoking as much as we can (Though nothing can guarantee chances of smokers of having Lung Cancer is higher than non-smokers).
- Staying physically active as obesity is also one of the causes for a few types of Cancer.
- Keep an eye on your diet, what you are eating plays a vital role in your overall health. Stay away from Processed, Fried, Fatty & Junk food.
- Regular health check-ups like Pap-smear, CBC, Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, Prostate examinations etc.
- Safe Sex & Vaccinations for HPV & Hepatitis B etc.
- Managing Chronic stress, which leads to inflammation. Taking proper sleep.
Common Signs & symptoms of cancer-
- A persistent cough
- Unexplained Weight Loss
- Blood Loss (from any opening eg. Anal, Vaginal etc.
- Swollen Lymph Nodes
- Bloating, Indigestion & Heartburn
- Change in moles, Any new glands etc.
- Frequent Fever
- Chronic Headaches
Common Types of Cancer:
1. Breast Cancer
This is one of the most common Cancers faced by Women. With early detection, it is very much manageable. You need to keep an eye on its early signs like any lumps, unusual discharge, change in the appearance of nipple etc. to monitor its presence.
2. Colorectal Cancer
This is cancer of Colon & Rectal areas. Mostly detected through colonoscopy. Symptoms include Anaemia, Changes in bowel, Indigestion, Heartburn etc.
3. Cervical Cancer
This Cancer can be easily controlled by regular screening like Pap Smear, Vaccinations for HPV and maintaining vaginal Hygiene.
4. Ovarian Cancer
This Cancer is hardly detectable in the early stage. Transvaginal ultrasound is generally the first thing Doctor will recommend if they have any doubt
5. Gastric Cancer
This cancer is also very difficult to detect in an early stage. Doctors recommend Endoscopy if they find any symptom associated with it
6. Pancreatic Cancer
Most difficult to treat, this cancer hardly gives any treatment in the initial stage. But Back pain, Jaundice & abdominal pain are few of its initial symptoms
7. Testicular Cancer
This is found in testis, and if detected early can be easily managed by an oncologist
8. Lung Cancer
This is very common Cancer and initial symptoms are a persistent cough, Difficult Breathing etc.
9. Prostate Cancer
This is one of the most common types of Cancer found in men. But Most manageable one, the regular prostate examination is recommended for its early detection
10. Skin Cancer
When abnormal growth happens in our Dermal tissues it is called Skin Cancer. Harmful UV rays also play a vital role in this kind of cancer.
11. Brain Cancer
This is also one of the most difficult to treat. Hardly gives any symptoms in initial phase but a headache, speech blurring, problem in vision & locomotive problem are few initial signs.
12. Blood Cancer
When the Blood cells start growing rapidly, it leads to Leukaemia. CBC & Peripheral smear is the primitive test which is suggested by doctors.
13. Oral Cancer
Cancer of anywhere in the oral cavity is called oral cancer. Tobacco is one of the most common factors in these kinds of cancer.